Fresh green beans cooked in the air fryer are quick, easy to make and come out perfectly tender crisp. A simple and delicious healthy vegetable side dish.
Fresh green beans are one of my favorite vegetables. The only thing I don’t like is that they usually require a two step process to get them just right. Normally I blanche them and then lightly sauté them to get that perfect bright green color and tender crisp texture. No more! Cooking green beans in the air fryer has literally changed my life.
Air frying green beans couldn’t be any easier. Just toss them in a bit of olive oil, add your favorite seasonings, load them into the basket and in just a few minutes, you have the perfect side.
*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*
Using the air fryer for veggies is one of the easiest ways to prep them. Perfect for quick weeknight dinners or even better for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter or any holiday when you need that extra space in your oven and on the stove!
A simple vegetable side is great for everyone. This recipe is suitable for low carb, keto, whole 30, gluten free and vegan diets!
How to pick the best fresh green beans
Green beans are readily available year-round and you can find them at most farmers’ markets from May to October.
The freshest, best green beans are about 4-6 inches in length and the width of a pencil. They should feel firm, crisp and snap easily when bent. If they have bulges, mushy or brown spots or seem a bit floppy, they’re not fresh.
Fresh Green Beans – look for green beans that are bright in color and snap easily when you bend them. That’s how you know they’re fresh!
Olive Oil – just a little drizzle helps them stay plump and achieve that perfect tender crisp texture. Good olive oil is a staple in any kitchen. The Furies is my favorite!
Salt and Pepper – A pinch of s&p for simple seasoning and that’s it!
How to cook fresh green beans in the air fryer
- Trim the ends off of the green beans.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Air fry for 6 minutes at 375 degrees.
Can I cook frozen green beans in the air fryer?
You absolutely can! I find that I prefer the texture of fresh green beans but frozen will work. Just add the frozen green beans (do not thaw) right into the basket and add an additional 3-4 minutes on to the cook time.
How to store leftovers
If you cook for one or happen to have some leftovers, air fried green beans will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days. I like to add them cold to salads but they can also be reheated in the microwave.
One of the reasons I love green beans so much is that they are super versatile and you can flavor them however you want! You can’t go wrong with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Here are some of the different ways I’ve tried them:
- Change up the seasonings and add garlic powder, chili flakes or dried Italian herbs.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Top with slivered or sliced almonds.
- Toss with crumbled bacon.
- Toss them in soy sauce or load them up with Asian inspired toppings like these Loaded Asian Green Beans
- Another one of my favorite green bean recipes is Ina Garten’s Green Beans Gremolata. Just air fry the green beans, add the toppings from the recipe and you’ve got the perfect holiday dinner side!
Recommended Tools for this recipe
Air fryer – I have the Cusinart Air Fryer Oven and I love it. I don’t do kitchen appliances that only do one thing. I decided on this model because it’s an air fryer, toaster and mini oven all in one! I’ve also heard great things about the Instant Pot Vortex basket style air fryer.
Tongs – Good kitchen tongs are a must. These are the exact ones that I have. I like a silicone tip for the best grip.
What to serve with Air fried green beans?
Anything goes! Green beans are a healthy and delicious vegetable side for pretty much any meal. Here are a few recipes that pair nicely:
Air Fryer Green Beans
- ¾ lb of fresh green beans trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper or other seasonings to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees if your model requires it.
- Toss fresh, trimmed green beans with olive oil and seasonings.
- Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry for 6 minutes until tender crisp.