Bright, lemony and peppery in flavor, arugula pesto pasta is the perfect quick and easy dish to enjoy year-round.
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- 1/4 cup almonds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb pasta
- Optional: 8oz torn burrata cheese or other mix-ins of your choice
- Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil for the pasta. While you’re waiting, make the pesto.
- In the bowl of your food processor add arugula, almonds, garlic, parmesan, cheese, lemon juice and salt. Pulse until arugula is broken down and mixture is slightly incorporated.
- While the food processor is running, drizzle in olive oil until everything comes together is a rough paste. I like the mixture to have a bit of texture and not be completely smooth.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Set aside pesto and cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Before you drain the pasta, use a mug or heat safe measuring cup to scoop out about a cup of pasta water and set aside.
- In the warm pasta pot, add cooked pasta back in, desired amount of pesto and a splash of pasta water. Use tongs to toss and coat the pasta with the sauce, adding more pesto or water until desired taste and consistency.
- Serve immediately with torn burrata or other mix-ins of your choice.
The arugula pesto can be made ahead of time and will keep well in the fridge for about 5 days.
Keywords: Arugula pesto pasta, pesto pasta, arugula pesto, pesto without basil, pesto alternative, easy pasta dish, 20 minute pasta, using pasta water, pasta water to thicken sauce, how to make pesto, pesto pasta sauce, homemade pesto