These Asian Style Chicken Wings are crispy, sticky, spicy, sweet – seriously the BEST chicken wings!
- 2.5–3lbs chicken wings (party style)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or other neutral oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic, 2-3 cloves
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger, thumb sized chunk (peeled)
- 6 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemongrass paste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- sriracha to taste for heat
- a few pinches of salt
- sesame seeds and scallions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees and fit a foil lined baking sheet with a rack.
- Pat the wings dry with paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a shallow dish. Dredge each wing with flour mixture and place on baking rack.
- Bake the wings in the oven at 275 degrees for 20 minutes and then turn the oven up to 425 and bake for an additional 35-45 minutes until wings are crispy, golden and cooked through.
- While the wings are baking, make the sauce. In a small saucepan whisk together oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, honey, brown sugar, rice vinegar and lemongrass paste if using. Bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat. In a separate bowl whisk together cornstarch and cold water to make a slurry.
- Once the sauce is simmering, add in the cornstarch slurry and whisk until the sauce thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon and be dark in color. Remove from heat and set aside. If the sauce is too thick, just thin it out with extra water one tablespoon at a time. Check for seasoning and whisk in sriracha to taste.
- When the wings are done, use tongs to place them in a large bowl. Pour sauce onto wings and toss in the bowl to thoroughly coat.
- Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds and thinly sliced scallions (green parts only)
- Serve immediately
I like to toss the wings in sauce in batches as they get eaten to ensure that they stay crispy! If there are leftovers, you can store the naked wings and sauce separately and then gently reheat the wings in the oven and toss with room temperature sauce.
Keywords: Asian chicken wings, sticky asian wings, crispy baked wings, garlic ginger chicken wings, chicken wings recipe, chicken wings appetizer