Cheese ravioli topped with crispy brussels sprouts and pancetta in a buttery pan sauce.
- 1lb cheese ravioli
- 4 oz diced pancetta (or 4–5 slices thick cut diced bacon)
- 12 oz shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp pine nuts (or substitute 1/4 cup of pecans, broken into pieces)
- Juice of half a lemon (or 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan (plus more for serving)
- Salt & lots of black pepper
- Red pepper flakes for heat
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook ravioli according to package directions. Reserve about a 1/4 cup of starchy pasta water before you drain. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, cook the pancetta until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is crispy. Use a slotted spoon or spatula and transfer pancetta to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel to absorb the majority of the grease. Add in olive oil and turn up the heat a little bit. When the oil is shimmering, add in brussels sprouts and a pinch of salt and cook until the edges are a bit crispy.
- Add in sliced shallot and cook another 2-3 minutes. Transfer brussels sprouts and shallots to a plate.
- In the same skillet (it’s ok if some bits are stuck in the pan!) turn the heat down and melt butter.
- Add the pine nuts (or pecans) to the melted butter and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until butter begins to brown and nuts are toasty.
- Turn the heat down to low and add thyme and lemon juice. Scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add ravioli, a splash of pasta water, parmesan and black pepper and toss until cheese is melted and ravioli is coated in sauce.
- Remove ravioli from heat, top with crispy brussels sprouts, pancetta and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Serve with extra parmesan for sprinkling.
Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
To make this vegetarian, omit the pancetta and start the process with cooking brussels sprouts in olive oil.
Keywords: Ravioli with brussels sprouts and pancetta, brussels sprouts, brussels sprouts pasta, pasta with pancetta, frozen ravioli recipe