BBQ Chicken Flatbread pizza comes together in about 20 minutes with just a few simple, store bought ingredients for an easy and delicious snack or meal.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you in partnership with my friends at Bob’s Red Mill. I used their Grain Free Flatbread Mix in this recipe. I love Bob’s Red Mill products and their core values as a company. Thank you for supporting the brands that help bring new content to Big Delicious Life!
Need a fun and easy recipe made with ingredients you probably already have laying around your kitchen? This is it! All you need is leftover chicken, your favorite bbq sauce, cheese, cilantro and onions and a bag of flatbread mix or pizza crust. This recipe is perfect for using up leftover bbq or rotisserie chicken and some odds and ends in your fridge.
I always have a few bags of Bob’s Red Mill Grain Free Flatbread Mix in my pantry. It’s delicious, you can use it in so many different ways and it’s perfect for this recipe. I’m not gluten-free but I love this mix because it’s easy to prepare and made with simple ingredients like almond flour, coconut flour, cassava flour and tapioca starch, and no xanthan gum. It’s a game changer when you need a shortcut and don’t have time to make homemade pizza crust or focaccia for easy meals on busy days.
- Bob’s Red Mill Grain Free Flatbread Mix – the mix is simple to make. All you need is a few eggs, some olive oil and water to make a perfect gluten-free flatbread crust.
- Cooked chicken – this is the perfect thing to make when you’re picking off the last bits of the rotisserie chicken or have leftovers from your weekend bbq.
- BBQ Sauce
- Cheese – I prefer mozzarella cheese but you could also use provolone, Colby jack, Monterrey, mild white cheddar, smoked gouda or a mix.
- Cilantro or or green onions
- Red onion
- Variations – for a variation, add an extra veggie! Throw on some sliced jalapeños broccoli, spinach, bell peppers or mushrooms. If you want to get extra saucy, drizzle finished pizza with garlic oil or ranch! You can make this with any of your favorite pizza toppings.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, make the pizza dough by mixing together flatbread mix, eggs, water and oil with a wood spoon or spatula until well combined. Let the dough stand for at least five minutes while you gather the rest of your ingredients.
The flatbread mix will make a soft and sticky dough, so use wet hands to spread it out onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. No need to use a rolling pin, but you will have a hard time without wet hands. I find it easier to make kind of an oval or rectangle shape than a circle but you should spread it out until it’s about the size of a 10 inch pizza.
Brush more olive oil all over the top and bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is set.
Remove crust from oven. Spread bbq sauce on the crust, top with most of the shredded cheese, chicken, finely diced red onion (and any other cooked veggies you’re using), the top with the rest of the cheese.
BaBake the pizza in a 400 degree oven for another 5-8 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling and the edges of the crust are golden brown. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves or thinly sliced green onions.
Tips for making great flatbread pizza
- Don’t add more toppings than you need! More toppings weigh the crust down.
- If you’re adding extra veggies, make sure you pre-cook them and remove as much water as possible – squeeze your spinach, pat your mushrooms or peppers dry with paper towels. Added moisture means soggier crust.
- Layer part of the cheese on top of the sauce first then save a bit to sprinkle over the rest of the toppings. Two cheese layers help to keep the toppings moist and the crust crispier.
- For best results, bake the crust first, add toppings, bake again. Do not skip the first bake!
What to serve with BBQ Chicken Flatbread
Some easy sides to round out the meal!
- Simple Green Salad
- Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad
- Air Fryer Green Beans
More easy weekday meals you’ll love
BBQ Chicken Flatbread
For the Flatbread
- 1 Package Bob's Red Mill Grain Free Flatbread Mix
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Olive oil plus more for brushing
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together Bob's Red Mill Grain Free Flatbread Mix, eggs, water and olive oil. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Using wet hands, press the dough out to a 10-12 inch pizza shape on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes until set.
- Spread the baked crust with bbq sauce, top with about ⅔ of the cheese, then chicken and diced red onion (or any other veggies you are using), then add remaining cheese on top.
- Return flatbread to the oven and bake for an additional 5-8 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Top flatbread with fresh cilantro leaves or thinly sliced green onions. Serve warm.
Leave a Reply