These oven baked buffalo wings are seriously CRISPY! My girlfriends and I regularly meet up at a local bar for happy hour buffalo wings. I developed this recipe for the COVID-19 quarantine when happy hours became a virtual thing. Just because we’re stuck at home doesn’t mean that we can’t enjoy a good bar food fix! These wings are perfect for game day, party appetizers or really just anytime you want some hot wings.
The secret ingredient to making these wings is baking powder. Just be careful not to mix it up with baking soda – we’ve all made that mistake before ; )
These wings are super easy to make and it’s hard to believe that they are not fried. The prep is quick but give yourself enough time to refrigerate for at least an hour to get the desired results. You don’t want to skip this step, that’s the trick!
If you love seasoned, flavorful, crispy buffalo wings in a classic buttery, spicy sauce but don’t want to get into deep frying at home, this recipe is definitely for you!
Join me in my kitchen for a full recipe demo!
Tips for making crispy wings in the oven
Dry your wings! This is the most important step. Make sure that you pat your wings thoroughly dry or let them air chill in the fridge before you dredge them.
Chill your wings! Once your wings are dredged, let them sit in the fridge for an hour for the coating to harden a bit. This step is essential!
Give your wings some space! Make sure that they are spaced out on your baking sheet and not touching so that all of the surface area is exposed to the heat for maximum crisp.
*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*Print
Crispy baked chicken wings tossed in a spicy, classic buffalo sauce.
- 2lbs or about 20-25 party wings (flats & drums)
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup melted unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Make sure that your wings are dry. Thoroughly pat each wing with a paper towel or if you have time, chill in the refrigerator for a while. This is a very important step in making sure you get that delicious crispy skin!
- Lightly season the raw wings with salt. The buffalo sauce is very salty so just a little bit goes a long way. Drop the wings into the seasoned flour bowl and toss with tongs, making sure each wing is thoroughly coated. Place wings on a plate in a single layer and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. This will allow the flour coating to harden and ensure that you get that delectable crisp!
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter and hot sauce. Transfer 1-2 tablespoons of the sauce to a different bowl – we’re going to use this after the wings come out of the oven.
- After the wings have chilled in the fridge, dip each wing into the buffalo sauce and place on lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 45-60 minutes, turning halfway through to ensure even cooking. Brush wings with remaining sauce or serve on the side and enjoy!