This Garam Masala Spiced Zucchini Bread just warms my heart. I got this recipe from my very best friend, Jacqueline. Jacqueline and I met 20 years ago on the first day of school at Dartmouth College, and have been besties ever since. Junior year, we moved to an off-campus apartment with a full kitchen. For the next two years of school we spent almost all of our weekends cooking, baking and having friends over for dinner parties. Jacqueline is my absolute favorite person to get down with in the kitchen, and ya’ll, her Garam Masala Spiced Zucchini Bread is one for the books!
Zucchini is so abundant during the summer months. It’s literally everywhere! It’s a popular home garden crop and is super cheap at the supermarket. A versatile ingredient that also adds moisture to baked goods. Baking with vegetables is a sneaky way to get more of them into your diet, making this recipe a win win! It’s also dairy free using coconut oil and coconut milk instead of butter and cow’s milk.
If you’ve never heard of garam masala, it’s an Indian spice mix most commonly made with cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, pepper and fennel. It’s wonderfully fragrant and gives this loaf an incredibly warm, spicy and delicious depth of flavor. It tastes like a warm hug. Jacqueline gives the BEST hugs. I recommend slathering in whipped butter with a little honey for some otherworldly deliciousness.
*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*Print
Warm & spicy zucchini bread
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp garam masala
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Turbinado sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Mix sugar, coconut oil, egg and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Squeeze as much water as possible out of grated zucchini with a clean dish towel.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, spices, salt and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Stir in zucchini and walnuts till just combined.
- Grease loaf pan with coconut oil and line with parchment paper, creating a sling so that loaf lifts easily out of the pan.
- Pour batter into pan and sprinkle top with a little turbinado sugar for crunch.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes. If using mini loaf pans, reduce baking time by about half.
- Let cool completely, use parchment sling to lift out of pan and slice. Serve plain or with butter.
Keywords: zucchini bread, garam masala, spiced zucchini bread