This homemade pumpkin pecan pie granola is an easy and delicious fall breakfast treat or snack. Made with real pumpkin, oats, toasty pecans, crunchy pepitas and warm spices, it’s also naturally vegan and gluten free.
This post was first published in September 2020. It has been updated most recently as of October 2021 with new process shots and recipe notes.
Pumpkin Pie Granola is in the house today and it smells SO GOOD! I seriously can’t stop eating this.
If you love granola for breakfast or snacking, you will also want to try my Vanilla Almond Granola.
Truth, I’m not really one of those people that gets overly excited for fall and everything pumpkin spice but this granola is a whole mood.
Cinnamony, salty-sweet, crunchy homeade granola clusters are great with a glass of almond milk, as a topping for greek yogurt or just by the handful for snacking. It’s fall season perfection. If you’re a pumpkin spice enthusiast, making this granola will quickly become part of your Fall routine because you deserve to have it all week during the season.
*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*
Why you should make your own granola
I love making my own homemade for several reasons:
- Homemade granola is healthier. If you have ever read the labels on store bought granola, many of them are packed with sugar and other preservatives. Homemade is much better for you.
- It’s easy to make and very economical. The high end granola in health food stores can be wildly expensive. Making your own means you can have twice as much for half the price.
- Totally customizable. You can make your own granola exactly the way you like it.
- It’s perfect for gifting and sharing! Pack some up in mason jars and give it away. It keeps for 2-3 weeks in the pantry.
This recipe has very simple ingredients and is pretty quick to make. It’s naturally vegan, gluten free and low in refined sugar.
- Rolled Oats – make sure you have old fashioned rolled oats, not steel cut or instant.
- Raw Pecans – make sure that you use raw pecans. They will toast in the oven while baking the granola.
- Raw Pepitas – make sure your pepitas are raw as they will toast in the oven.
- Maple Syrup or Honey – either will work!
- Brown Sugar – best to use brown sugar for more flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree – use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling!
- Olive Oil – this adds wonderful richness and flavor.
- Vanilla Extract – good vanilla extract is a must.
- Pumpkin Spice – I recommend my homemade pumpkin spice blend. If you don’t have any on hand, you can most definitely just use the same amount of cinnamon.
- Salt – for that perfectly sweet-salty combo.
How to make homemade granola
Making your own granola at home is very easy. Once you try it, you’ll never buy store bought again!
Start by combining the rolled oats, pecans and pepitas in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients and spices until the sugar is mostly dissolved and you have a syrupy consistency.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and use a wooden spoon to gently stir until everything is combined and the oats, pecans and pepitas are well coated.
Turn the mixture out onto a parchment lined baking sheet and press gently into an even layer. Sprinkle with flaky salt and bake in the oven until lightly toasty.
Resist the urge to eat it warm and let it cool completely. It will crisp as it cools and form those irresistible granola clusters!
Tips for making the best homemade granola
- Leave the granola undisturbed while baking. Just turn the baking sheet once. Leaving it alone will ensure that the granola clusters form.
- As hard as it is to resist, let the granola cool completely when it comes out of the oven. It crisps as it cools and forms those delicious granola clusters!
- Store homemade granola in an airtight container or mason jars in the pantry for 2-3 weeks. Granola also freezes well for a few months.
The best part about making homemade granola is that it doesn’t require any special equipment or hard to find ingredients! Here is the exact equipment I use to make this recipe:
More fall breakfast ideas
- Spiced Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash with Sausage and Kale
- Sweet Potato Oatmeal Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Avocado Toasts
Homemade Pumpkin Pecan Pie Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups raw pecans
- ⅓ cup raw pepitas
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Flaky sea salt like Maldon optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pecans and pepitas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, honey, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, olive oil and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Pour wet ingredients into oat mixture and combine well with a wooden spoon or spatula until everything is well coated.
- Spread mixture out into an even layer on the baking sheet, sprinkle lightly with a little flaky salt if desired. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning the pan halfway through. Start checking it at 30 minutes. It will be lightly toasty when done.
- Let cool completely. It will crisp up while it cools. Store in an airtight container.