Crispy, crunchy garlic parmesan zucchini fries made in the air fryer are an easy and delicious snack, appetizer or side that’s ready in about 20 minutes.
This recipe is for all you zucchini loving air fryer fanatics! There’s nothing I love more than a big plate of crispy fries. If I can get my veggies in fry form, even better!
These garlic parmesan air fryer zucchini fries are tender crisp on the inside and super crunchy on the outside. An easy, delicious way to enjoy zucchini that only takes about 20 minutes to make. Fire up your air fryer and let’s make some veggie fries!
*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*
All it takes is a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand to make this recipe.
Zucchini – one large or two small.
All purpose flour – the zucchini sticks get dredged in seasoned flour before they get dipped in egg and then panko and parmesan. The flour helps the egg stick.
Panko bread crumbs – I use seasoned panko for this recipe. If you only have plain on hand, add some Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt to your parmesan and panko mixture.
Parmesan Cheese – I like to use the finely grated parmesan (not shreds) but either will work!
Egg – helps the breading stick to the zucchini sticks.
Garlic Powder – a healthy amount of garlic powder seasons the flour and adds tons of flavor!
Oil Spray – A light spray of oil to coat the zucchini fries helps them get super crispy in the air fryer. I recommend using a high heat oil like avocado, vegetable or canola for best result.
This recipe will work in any air fryer. I have the Cusinart Air Fryer Oven and I’m absolutely in LOVE with it. I agonized for months over which model air fryer to get and decided on this one for the multiple functions. I’m not a fan of kitchen appliances that only do one thing! This one air fries, bakes, broils and toasts. A major small kitchen upgrade!
Cut zucchini into fries
The first step is to slice the zucchini into “fries”. Begin by trimming off the ends and then cutting the zucchini down the middle, lengthwise. Next, cut each half into quarters. Depending on how large your zucchini are, you may need to cut into eighths to get sticks that are about a half inch thick. Next, cut the zucchini sticks into two inch pieces.
They will look like thick cut fries. We want them a little bit thick so that the zucchini doesn’t overcook and get mushy.
Bread zucchini fries
The next step is to set up a dredging station and coat the fries in panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. This will make them super crispy!
Grab three shallow dishes or bowls. Mix together flour, salt, black pepper and garlic powder in one. Beat two eggs in one. In the third, combine panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Coat each zucchini fry in flour first, then in beaten egg, then in the parmesan panko mixture. Make sure each piece is thoroughly coated in each step. I find it’s helpful to press the parmesan panko mixture into the zucchini a bit to make sure there is enough breading to make a super crispy exterior.
If your air fryer needs to be preheated, turn it on to 400 degrees. Lay the breaded zucchini fries down in a single layer and spray evenly with a bit of high heat cooking oil spray. Make sure to leave some space between each fry so that the air can circulate evenly and make them super crispy.
Air fry for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and crispy, turning the fries carefully with tongs halfway through cooking.
Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips for making perfect air fryer zucchini fries
- Make sure to cut the zucchini into evenly sized pieces. This ensures that they all cook at the same rate so you don’t get some that are mushy and some that are underdone.
- Roll the flour coated zucchini sticks around in the egg and make sure that it’s thoroughly coated. The egg helps the parmesan panko mixture stick
- Press the parmesan panko mixture gently into the zucchini to make sure you get a good coating on each piece.
- Leave some space between each fry so that the air can circulate evenly and make the zucchini super crispy.
- Serve immediately. These will soften as they cool.
- Store any leftover zucchini fries in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. Reheat them in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes to re-crisp.
More zucchini recipes
Here are a few more of my favorite ways to enjoy zucchini:
Garam Masala Spiced Zucchini Bread
Grilled Corn and Zucchini Salad
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Fries
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- high heat cooking oil spray
- Slice off the ends of the zucchini and cut lengthwise into ½ inch thick "fries" (see post).
- Set up a dredging station with three shallow dishes. In the first dish, whisk together flour, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. In the second dish beat two eggs. In the third dish, combine parmesan and panko bread crumbs.
- Coat each zucchini stick first with flour, then egg, then in parmesan panko mixture. Make sure to coat evenly at each step. Gently press parmesan panko mixture into the zucchini, ensuring that enough breading sticks.
- Arrange breaded zucchini fries in the air fryer basket, being sure to leave a little bit of space to allow for air flow.
- Spray with a light coat of high heat cooking oil spray.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees. Carefully turn each fry with tongs halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Now that we’re in zucchini season I’ve been making as many recipes as possible. These yummy crispy fries hit the spot for sure!
I adored these zucchini fries! They were sooo crunchy with a hint of cheesy from the parmesan. I will definitely make this again!
I am a sucker for zucchini and I love putting my airfyer to work and this was such a stelar recipe! The dip and the fries paired well and I loved this so so so much!
I have a general weakness for anything crunchy so I’ve always wanted to try to make zucchini fires at home. They were frankly amazing!
These zucchini fries came out amazing! They were so crispy and had a perfect salty bite from the parmesan cheese.
I’m always on the hunt for new snacks and munchies, so these air fryer zucchini fries really piqued my interest. They were so easy to make and tasted so much better (and crunchier) than zucchini fries baked in the oven.